Friday, April 22, 2005

I Yams What I Yam...And Apparantly I Yam A Superman Cast Member

I always get a kick out of this, so I figured I would finally actually post it.

In the early 70s, Cary Bates added to the Superman supporting cast....Popeye!!

I know, I know, it sounds unbelievable, but it is true.

In Action Comics #421, Bates and Curt Swan combined to tell us the tale of "The Fantastic Feats of Captain Strong."

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Captain Strong and his wife Olivia travelled the sea on his boat, and occasionally, when the situation arose, Captain Strong would injest some suancha. Sauncha was an alien seaweed that Strong had found.

He appeared in about five Superman comics over the next eight years, even making an appearance as recently as 1985!!

Comics can be weird...hehe.

1 Comments:

Blogger MarkAndrew said...

Hee. Captain Strong is the best thing Cary Bates ever did. And I say this as someone who lo...er... li... er, alright, has never cared all that much for his writing, frankly. Totally forgot about Popeye, though.

4/22/2005 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home