Thursday, May 12, 2005

Hidden Gem - Betty's Diary

This was a little bit before the Archie explosion of the late 80s that I detailed earlier.

This title was a normal Archie title, only it was in the style of Betty telling stories into her diary.

The key difference was the style of the stories. They were not just wacky adventures, they were more heartfelt and often fairly serious in nature.

I am not sure who wrote the series, but whoever it was, s/he did a very good job capturing the whole vibe of a teenage girl. Very Judy Blume-esque.

The series did not last long (only five years or so), but it was a good run while it lasted.

I bet you could find some of the issues cheap!

Anyone remember this series at all?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

Definitely! I have a huge stack of back issues of *Betty's Diary*. It always tickled my creative bone (ew) because it would usually have cool stories like "Betty tries writing genre fiction", "Betty tracks down someone from a WWII photograph", and "Betty finds out that Reggie is visiting residents at the retirement home" rather than the usual oh-no-I-took-two-dates-to-the-prom junk.

I didn't realize they stopped making it (I stopped reading it a while back). Now I'm sad!

5/13/2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I never read it, but now I can't stop thinking, "Are You There, God? It's Me, Jughead."

5/14/2005 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home