Saturday, August 20, 2005

Top Five Keith Giffen Fun Runs!

Today's Top Five is in keeping with today's normal shtick, "Fun Runs," in that I am listing the Top Five Fun Runs by Keith Giffen, plotter extraordinare!

The fifth spot was a tough one, I was really torn between the choice I went with and L.E.G.I.O.N.

I think I didn't go with L.E.G.I.O.N. only because it seemed a little too much of Alan Grant's baby. Still, L.E.G.I.O.N. under Giffen was a fine, fine comic (and still good withOUT Giffen).

5. Freak Force

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This was a really fun series by Giffen, with art by Vic Bridges and a script by Erik Larsen.

They were a team of superheroes who weren't, well, very good at being superheroes.

Giffen was quite familiar with this formula!

4. The Heckler

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Giffen and the Bierbaums had a ton of fun with this series, about a superhero whose powers were basically that of a cartoon character (like a Loony Tunes character).

They went all out goofiness (as opposed to satire or anything like that).

A lot of fun.

3. Legion of Superheroes

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This may be the best SERIES of the five, but it was not all that "fun," so I have it ranked a little lower than one might expect for such a good series by Kieth Giffen and the Bierbaums.

2. Justice League International

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Come on, this series popularized "Bwah Ha Ha Ha!"

It HAS to be fun!

1. Ambush Bug

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In a slight upset (not THAT slight, hehe), Ambush Bug takes the top spot in my estimation.

Ambush Bug was an excellent series, and since it did not last as long, Giffen and Robert Loren Fleming did not get the chance to get "stale."

In addition, Giffen's art really sparkled on this series. Even the 1992 Nothing Special, Giffen pulled out all the stops.

Good stuff.

Think I'm off on the rankings?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken Robinson said...

Great theme for a top 5 and great choices for said top 5, Brian. Surprised (though not necessarily disappointed) to see the Bug take #1. And, personally, I would have given the #5 to L.E.G.I.O.N. over Feak Force, but it's definitely a tough call.

Very glad to see my own favourite Giffen run, Legion of Super-Heroes v4 make it. Some of my al-tme favourite comics were from that run.

Too bad you only did a top 5 and had to pass up on other great Giffen stuff like Trencher or Punx.

8/20/2005 8:31 PM  
Blogger Bill Reed said...

Oh, I dunno. I bought every issue of Ambush Bug's solo stuff off eBay, and I wouldn't say they're #1 material. I like Justice League more, m'self...

8/21/2005 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home