Tuesday, December 27, 2005

DJ's Snark Free Reviews

Christmas break has allowed me to catch up on some comic reading, so I thought I'd post some Snark Free thoughts on some issues from the last few months. There may be mild spoilers along the way, although I'll try not to ruin anyone's fun TOO much . . .

HOUSE OF M #1-8
Read together and not with a wait between the issues, this comic is fairly entertaining. Bendis does some pretty decent "cliffhanger" endings at the end of each chapter, and it's interesting to watch the heroes (and villains) as they respond to the changes in the world around them. The slower pace of the early issues leads to some SERIOUS action in the later issues, with some spectacular pages from Coipel. If Marvel has the guts to stick to their guns on this one, it COULD be the start of some major changes in the power structure of the Marvel Universe. Is it snarky to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be?

X-FACTOR #1
I actually laughed out loud reading this comic book. That hasn't happened to me in a l-o-n-g time, and it was a nice surprise, especially in an X-book. Peter David does a nice job of introducing (well, re-introducing) the characters and situations that will (hopefully) make this book different from others in the X-line. A hybrid of mutant superpowers and film-noir situations, I'm really hoping this one can find an audience.

SPIDER-MAN: THE OTHER (Parts 1-7)
Must . . . .Not . . . . Be . . . Snarky . . . Ummm . . . . the scripting is decent, especially considering it's the product of three separate scripters. Let's see . . . . the response of the other superheroes to Spider-man's situation is fairly compelling. Umm . . . . er . . . . Mike Wieringo draws a pretty solid Spider-man. Other than that, I think I've got a lot of snark.

BLACK PANTHER #10
I continue to be impressed by Reginald Hudlin's writing, and this issue, which is really more a Luke Cage story than a Black Panther story, reminds me of why. It's a solid story with a good cliffhanger, and Scot Eaton turns in a solid penciling job. Hudlin, like Priest before him, continues to keep the Panther at arms-length, while using his supporting cast to slowly reveal his character. There's a fine line to walk with that particular character device, since a protagonist that you can't relate to is a tough sell to most readers. Still, there's a lot to enjoy here, including some commentary on society's obsession with celebrity, and Luke Cage's hero worship.

That's it for now. I'm open to suggestions here, people . . .let me know your thoughts. Enjoy the format? Want more depth? Focus on Indy's? Mainstream? I'm working out the bugs.

dj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home