Friday, December 16, 2005

Snark Free Review of the Fantastic Four Movie

Just watched this on DVD, and I thought, given how it as panned, I could do a snark free take on things.

Ben and Johnny were "in character." Michael Chikilis and Chris Evans nailed the personalities of the characters, and they were written in a way that resembles their comic book counterpart. I thought they did a good job with Ben's pathos, both in Chiklis's performance and the way it was written. They also got the bickering between Ben and Johnny, which elicited some laughs. I thought they did a decent job with Sue and Reed's romance, but that's probably just the softy in me. And hey, Jessica Alba looked good in the costume. That was a plus. Even if, you know, you'd think that wouldn't be much of a priority for the Invisible Woman. Most importantly, though, I rented it for 99 cents with a coupon, and by taking it back tonight, I get a dollar in store credit. So it practically paid for itself!

Hey, I didn't say it was going to be a particularly long and insightful review. I'm just working with what I was given. If I go any further, I'll completely invalidate the name of this blog. As is, I just undermined it a bit.

1 Comments:

Blogger MarkAndrew said...

I totally dug the Fantastic Four Movie.

Sure, it was a Stan Lee soap-opera movie, and not a Jack Kirby way-out-imagination movie,

But, as a character piece, it completely worked for me.

Well, maybe not the Reed, Sue, and Doom parts... But they were more convincing than Bruce Wayne and generic Bat-Girlfirend # 225 in the OTHER big summer flick.

Someday I'll do a "Comic Movies: 2005" post on Comics Should Be Good.

12/18/2005 2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home