Friday, February 03, 2006

Comic Characters With The Same First Name Face-Off!

Who's the more famous comic book character named Alfred; Alfred E. Neuman, MAD Magazine's iconic grinning mascot, or Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce Wayne's faithful butler? On the one hand, Alfred has been in just about every permutation of Batman for as long as the character's been around, from the movies to the cartoons to (of course) the comics. On the other, Mr. Neuman's coutenance is the definition of iconic, a piece of Americana, and he's been on the cover of every issue of MAD for decades. His mascot duties also apply to a crappy sketch comedy show. I'm not sure how that shifts the balance. I'm inclined to give this one to Mr. Pennyworth based on this, but I'm open to arguments in favor of Mr. Neuman.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phillip said...

I think fewer people might know Alfred E. Neuman's name, but he would win on face recognition for sure.

2/05/2006 1:32 AM  
Blogger Marionette said...

In the USA, perhaps. Outside America Batman's butler would win every time. And I don't know about the american edition of Mad Magazine, but the (now long departed) UK edition did not always feature Alfred on the cover.

2/06/2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Brian Mac said...

Ah, but let's not forget the voice. Alfred E. Neuman has no voice that I'm aware of, whereas Alfred Pennyworth has been voiced by Efrem Zimbalist Jr., since 1992. I gotta say, the voice acting on Batman: The Animated Series was just fantastic, and they've become the definitive voices for those characters in my head.

2/06/2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger Brad Curran said...

"And I don't know about the american edition of Mad Magazine, but the (now long departed) UK edition did not always feature Alfred on the cover."

I know the original comic sized issues EC published didn't. I don't remember when he first appeared and I'm too lazy to Google it. And yes, B: TAS has excellent voice acting and I apply most of the voices to the characters in the comics now, including Zimbalist's for Alfred.

2/07/2006 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home